Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ouch! You Just Bruised My Digital Ego!


Many people use their Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites to try and see how many "friends" they can add. But when they get rejections from people they have never met, they feel just as hurt as if a real friend had rejected them. Recent studies have shown that being rejected online can hurt as much as being rejected in real life.

Studies also show that people you talk to online feel that they can act any way they want, or be as rude as they want, because you are not talking face-to-face. Thus, a friend rejection, or a "defriending" can bruise your digital ego.

My Opinion

I think it is kinda lame that people feel so hurt when someone they don't even know rejects them online. I can understand if you are offended because they are saying rude things, but you just gotta remember that the person you are talking is probably some obese 34 year old who lives with his mom and has most likely never kissed a girl. Sticks and stones can break your bones but words can never hurt you!

Link:http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/10/30/online.rejection.defriending/index.html

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Brandi, if you don't know the person and you've never had face to face conduct why would you even think they would want to be your friend in the first place. If someone adds me online and I don't know them or of them, I automatically ignore the request. There are so many horror stories of online social networking that make me feel like it is my responsibility to ignore people I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahahahahaha love the last part Brand. Classy. ;)

    ReplyDelete