Sunday, September 27, 2009

Online Education vs. School Education

Over the past twelve years, studies have shown that students who study online are ranked higher in tested performances. Online Education is expected to expand sharply in the next few years.

Online Education has improved drastically in the last couple of years because of instant messaging, web-based video, and collaboration tools. The real benefit of online education is that it enables students to do the "learning by doing" method. And their studies are more tailored to their needs.

Many K-12 schools and universities are using programs such as Moodle or Blackboard in their classrooms. On these programs teachers can post assignments and grades for a particular class.

Source: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/study-finds-that-online-education-beats-the-classroom/

My Opinion

I have never personally taken an online class. It seems to me that you would learn the same online as you would in school. I would forget everything equally. But what does my opinion matter anyway? I'm being forced to write on issues that don't even matter or contribute to anything important.

2 comments:

  1. I respect your opinion on this subject but I disagree. I believe that School education is much more effective than any online school. Online schools do propose a way of learning quickly without many distractions but also poses a lot of problems. Some of the problems are that it is easier to cheat and some people can find ways to get credit without doing the work. With school education, the teachers are working with you every day to suit your needs and to teach you what is most important at that time. We must not also forget all of the social aspects that online education lacks. People taking online education do not get as much people interaction that is much need later in life. Online education has it's pros and con's but I believe school education is a much more effective method of getting a better all-around education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree also. I think online classes are usually considered blow off classes. The online classes I've heard of are classes you can complete in a couple of weeks. I think person to person learning is much more important and beneficial.

    ReplyDelete